PODD Speech Generating Device Workshop
Date & Time: TBA
Cost: $310 GST inclusive
Venue: Cerebral Palsy Education Centre, End of Beacon Street, Glen Waverley VIC 3150
Completion of a two-day Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display (PODD) Introductory workshop is a pre-requisite for this course.
The focus of this workshop is the design features of PODD page sets to suit speech generating devices. The content will build on the information relating to the purpose, design principles, intervention strategies and use of PODD communication books covered in the two-day introductory workshop.
Ever wondered why PODD pages sets for speech generating devices are not direct copies of the corresponding language level of a PODD communication book? This workshop will explain the similarities, differences and variations in vocabulary organisations needed to capitalize on, and accommodate for, the innate differences between paper books and electronic devices.
Hands-on practical experiences will also provide participants with opportunities
- to explore the features and vocabulary organisation of PODD page sets designed to suit varying communication and language requirements
- develop fluency using the PODD page sets to model and expand language.
(See information on getting a trial version of PODD page sets for Tobii-DynaVox COMPASS or The Grid).
Case examples will be used to illustrate teaching and learning strategies that have been found effective for implementing the PODD integrated communication system (paper books and electronic devices) to support the development of autonomous communication at any time.
Participants will be able to:
- Identify how the availability of multiple systems supports an individual’s ability for autonomous communication in a range of environments
- Describe the similarities and differences between dynamic display (paper) communication books and (electronic) SGDs
- Describe PODD vocabulary organization strategies that maintain similarities between systems while taking advantage of each format’s unique features and functional characteristics
- Select and customise PODD generic templates for speech generating devices to suit individual requirements.
- Model and expand language using PODD page sets for speech generating devices
- Discuss the teaching and learning strategies for implementing the PODD integrated communication system (paper books and electronic devices) to support the development of autonomous communication at any time.
- Teach children and partners to use the PODD integrated communication system in daily environments.